The items in this list are what you really need when having a little one and are a great investment. This list will allow you to save money, space and time. It will help choose the products your baby really needs. You can take the money you save and put it in your babie’s college fund; trust me they will thank you for that more than a fancy rocking chair.
1. Steam Sterilizer
This will be your best friend for the next 2 years. Having 3 kids I went through a few of them but I could not imagine not having one. For the first year I sterilize pretty much anything that is allowed, even her toothbrush. In the second year it is really optional but pacifiers, bottle and toothbrushes are still a good idea. The main idea to make them last is to ONLY use distilled water.
Philips Avent Electric Steam Sterilizer
- Easy to use
- Holds a lot of items
Night lights are a must for the baby as well as the mom. They provide comfort and are useful to see in the dark.
Cloud B Twilight Turtle Constellation Nightlight
- Easy to use
3. Baby Name Wall Letters
This one of those cheesy but really special memorable things you can buy for your baby. Having their name on the wall it is a great memory for a lifetime.
Wooden Hanging Wall Letters
- Easy to put up on the wall thanks to the provided templates
- Good Quality
4. Disposable Diaper Bags
Once your baby starts eating solid foods and will not be able to through the #2 diapers in the diaper bin due to the smell. It is best to put them in the special bags and just put them in the green bin.
Baby Works Disposable Scented Diaper Bags
- Good Quality
- Great Value
5. Sleeping Bag
Sleeping bags are your must item for the night time after you stop swaddling or decide not to swaddle at all. They come in various sizes and the warmth levels, depending on when your baby is born you will more or less warmer. Do not use them around 6-7 month, after the baby starts to stand up in the crib. They just hate being restricted by it.
Baby Deedee Sleep Nest Baby Sleeping Bag
- Reverse zipper
- Shoulder snaps
6. Food Cube
Once your baby will start eating solid food around 6 month these boxes will become an absolute must when you will make home made vegetables and fruits. They can be put in the fridge or freezer and are a good size to control portion size.
Glass Baby Food Jars (4 – 2oz)
- Freezer and dishwaser Safe
- Comes with tray and marker
7.Hand and Footprint Kit
The most memorable item that you will cherish for life is the hand & foot prints of your baby. This will be a constant reminder of how small and tiny they were once. You can do ink or clay, or you may want to do both just to keep the memory that much more real.
One thing to keep in mind they are extremely hard to do so I would wait until the baby is 3 months old that way you will get better results.
Pearhead Babyprints Deluxe Wall Frame
- No-mess impression material for making your baby’s prints
- Pink/blue reversible background
- Easy to create; No mixing, air drying, no mess
8. Baby Food Maker
Baby food processor is a must. It is a great way to start off your baby on a healthy food diet. A good quality one is important as they are easily break, look for the durability of the blades and the quality of the plastic as it tends to crack a lot. Another cool feature is the new steaming option that allows to steam and blend the food all in the same processor.
Baby Brezza One Step Baby Food Maker
- Easy to use! Just add your ingredients and set your steam time, and the machine will do the rest
- Easy to clean – bowl and blade are dishwasher safe
- BPA/Phthalate Free
Capacity: Bowl holds up to 2 ½ cups.
9. Cold Humidifier
Unfortunately kids get a lot of colds during the long Canadian winters. Cool humidifier is a must as it eases congestion, refreshes the air and lets kids get a better sleep. Humidifiers need a lot of maintenance and cleaning so getting the one without the messy filter is a must. Ultrasonic is also a must feature. “ultrasonic humidifier uses a ceramic diaphragm vibrating at an ultrasonic frequency to create water droplets that silently exit the humidifier in the form of cool fog.”
Crane Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- Comes in variety shapes and sizes, even comes in animal shapes
- Easy to clean
- One fill lasts all night
10. Large Bibs
Bibs are an essential item when your baby starts to eat solid foods. They need to be water-proof and easy to clean. The size is also important, it has to be just right; not too big or small. It is important that they drive fast and do not stain.
Kushies Baby Clean Bib
- Catch all pocket
- Lead, phthalate PVC and bpa free
11. Soft Spoons
Soft spoons are great for babies and toddlers alike. They are gentle on the gums and teeth, easy to wash and are a much healthier option than plastic.
Munchkin Silicone Spoons
- Soft silicone tips are gentle on gums
- Odor resistant and top rack dishwasher safe
- BPA free
12. Silicone Bowls
I love silicone plates. They are so much nicer that plastic and are a much healthier option. They do not brake, stain and could be dropped without braking.
- Convenient dividers allow to put 3 types of foods without mixing
- Food Grade Silicone – Freezer Safe – Diswasher Safe – Microwave and Oven Safe
- BPA _ PVC – Phthalate and Toxin Free
13. Muslin Swaddles
Muslin swaddlers are a must for any parent. I wish they were this popular when I had my first child. I used to use the regular receiving blankets but they do not compare to the versatility and comfort of the swaddlers. Swaddlers can be used as blankets, wraps, after wash, change covers, etc. They are absolutely amazing.
aden + anais Swaddles 4 Pack
- Pre-washed 100-Percent cotton muslin swaddles
- Great size can be used for many purposes
- Stays soft wash after wash
14. Face Blankie as a safety toy
You will find out pretty shortly that your baby will feel better when he/she has some sort of security object to fall asleep with. These small blankies/toys are really great. A lot of the usual safety toys are hard to clean and are not very breathable. Light and breathable are very important features as often the baby will put the toy on their face to help them fall asleep.
aden + anais Rayon from Bamboo Musey Mate Lovey
- Cuddly: made of rayon from bamboo fiber muslin
- Durable: machine washable-easy to keep clean
- Luxuriously soft: gets softer with every wash
15. Dimmer for the light switch
Having a dimmable light switch is a really great feature to have in the baby’s room. It will come handy in the middle of the night feedings, comfort sessions and bed-time stories. It is really convenient to control the amount of light in the room depending on what the situation requires.
You might want to consider a smart switch to able to control the light from your iPhone.
Lutron Dimmer 150-watt
- Compatible with most dimmable CFL/LED, incandescent and halogen bulbs
- Features a large rocker paddle switch and small sliding dimmer switch for precise lighting control
- Available in 7 gloss colors
16. Darkening Blinds
Having the option to block out the light is very convenient when you really do not want to wake up at 6AM after you had just woken up 2 hours ago. They are a must for any kids room no matter how big or small they are. You will still need to have curtains to block the light from the sides of the window as it quite a bit of light still coming through. Make sure that the curtains are not sheer as they will not block the light.
Blinds come in all shapes and colors depending on your price range. You can get them at your local Home Depot or get custom made from a blinds company.
If you need portable solution this might be a great secondary option:
The Gro Company, Gro Anywhere Blind Curtain
- Adapts to fit any window up to a maximum size of 130cm x 200cm
- Premium black out material
- Velcro fastening is easy to use and quick to adjust
17. Kids Safe all-purpose Cleaner & Wipes
Child friendly cleaners are a true necessity since everything ends up in the babies mouth. They also need to be low odor and safe on most surfaces. There are wipes as well as bottled spray options to choose from. Wipes are great for quick messes.
The ideal cleaner should be used on the high chair, crib, change table, toys and any other surface that the baby may come in contact with.
Dapple Baby All Purpose Cleaner
- Non-antibacterial formula allows baby to build up a strong immune system
- Pediatrician recommended
- Low odor
18. Baby bottle washing fluid
You will be washing a lot of bottles and dishes for the next few years. A healthy cleaner solution is a must, but it also needs to clean effectively. A lot of the cheaper options do not clean well or have unhealthy ingredients. Always read the ingredients to make sure that they are free of phthalates, parabens, SLS, SLES and dyes.
Dapple Baby Bottle & Dish Liquid
- Effectively cleans bottles, sippy cups, pacifiers and breast pump components
- Award-winning green technology targets milk residue and uses baking soda to combat odor
- Made with plant-based ingredients- free of phthalates, parabens, SLS, SLES and dyes
- 16.9 oz. pump
19. High Chair –plastic only or easily washable insert
A good quality high chair is a great investment. Your baby will spend a lot of time eating, drinking and doing crafts in that chair for the next few years. Make sure that it can easily be cleaned and the inserts can be washed. I learned the hard way that a comfy soft chair can not be properly cleaned so I gave up and on my 2nd child and bought an all plastic chair which made my life so much easier.
Boon FLAIR Highchair
- Five-point harness and safety post
- Easy to clean
- Comes with removable cushion
You can also but a different color cushion for fun and also helps when you are washing the other cushion.
20. Robeez Shoes
When you are first start shopping for your first child you will see all kinds of adorable little shoes but most of them are just that: cute but impractical. They do not stay on the feet, uncomfortable and are not breathable. Shows must stay on the feet. You will fid that soon enough. Do not start shoes too early not before 6-7 months not before the baby is starting to stand up.
- 100% Leather
- Elasticized ankle design ensures they stay on little-feet
- Soft soles are great for children learning to walk indoors